Thirty-two 4-H members from across the province came together on April 13 for the 2019 Provincial 4-H Public Speaking Competition at the Lancer Community Hall in Lancer to compete for the top place honours in this prestigious competition.
The speeches began at 1 p.m. and proceeded throughout the afternoon with each speaker presenting their speech in turn. All of the youth were exemplary and poised while speaking on topics that were informative, entertaining, or close to their heart.
The competition was followed by a banquet and awards ceremony where special guests were in attendance, including the Honorable Doug Steele, MLA of Cypress Hills;, Honourable Yens Peterson, MLA Regina Northeast & Opposition Critic for Agriculture; Cera Youngson, executive director of 4-H Saskatchewan; Glenn Gress, president of the 4-H Saskatchewan Board of Directors; and Stan Figley, Alvin Pawlitza, and Nora Schock, delegates to the 4-H Saskatchewan Board of Directors.
In the Cloverbud category, for members aged six to eight, Addison Pain earned first place with her speech “Winter Activates.” In the Junior Category, for members nine to 12 years old, Hannah Hoberg earned first place with her speech topic “How to be a loser.” Martine Bosse earned her first place with the Intermediate category, for ages 13 to 15, with her speech topic “Lights Camera Action.” In the Senior category, Makenna Heidecker earned first place with her speech “Rejection.” Congratulations to all of the top placed competitors at the 2019 Provincial 4-H Public Speaking Competition.
Thank you to the clubs of the District #11 4-H Council, which includes the Abbey-Lancer 4-H Beef Club and PALS Multiple 4-H Club, as well as those on the Public Speaking committee for their hard work preparing and hosting this event.
Thank you to all our judges who donated their time, including Don Connick, Joan Jackson, Darren Smid, Sarah Anderson, Karlah Rudolf, David Hagel, David Anderson, Tami Wall, John Wagner, Page Newton, Jessica Smith and Arthur Ward.
Thank you to the sponsors and donors who made the 2019 Provincial 4-H Public Speaking Competition a very special day. Your generosity is truly appreciated. Special thanks to Platinum Level Sponsors: 4-H Saskatchewan Provincial Program Partners and RBC. Bronze Level Sponsors; South West Terminal Ltd, Masterfeeds, Ponderosa Ag Sales Ltd, Lime Zero Mechanical ltd, Robertson Implements.
Top Placed Speakers
1) Addison Pain, Medstead Multiple 4-H Club (NW), “Winter Activities”
2) Chase Dyrland, Nomad’s 4-H Beef Club (SW). “My First Job”
3) Gage Goetz, Outram-Madigan Beef 4-H Club (SE), “My Heart Surgery”
1) Hannah Hoberg, Sheho 4-H Beef Club (NE), “How To Be A Loser”
2) Hunter Allen, Northminster 4-H Beef Club (NW), “Why I Would Make a Great Police Officer”
3) Nadelle Murphy, Moosomin Multiple 4-H Club (SE), “My Week at Summer Camp”
1) Martine Bosse, Herds of Thunder 4-H Club (NW), “Lights Camera Action"
2) Georgia Pawlitza, Abbey- Lancer 4-H Beef Club (SW), “8 Seconds”
3) Kaleigh McLaughlin, Moosomin 4-H Multiple Club (SE), “The Man, The Myth, The Legend”
1) Makenna Heidecker, Three Lakes Beef 4-H Club (NE), “Rejection”
2) Thea Valstar, Springside 4-H Beef Club (SE), “I am… Are You?”
3) Rayna Yasieniuk, Reigning Riders 4-H Club (NW), “Our Journey”
photo by Mary Kate Robertson